Picking a polycarbonate greenhouse kit is a great step towards making your greenhouse dreams come true! Now, which one is going to be the best one for you?
We hope we’ll guide you to the answer with this article. We are going to show you our best polycarbonate greenhouses for different purposes. But first, we want you to know what features make for the best polycarbonate greenhouses on the market.
And if you haven’t already settled on polycarbonate, we are going to give you some good reasons why you should pick it over other materials such as glass. Let’s not waste time and get started!
Why you should pick a polycarbonate greenhouse
The greenhouse kits available on the market have different materials. Out of all these covering materials, the most durable is polycarbonate.
While beautiful, glass is more likely to break and crack than polycarbonate. Additionally, polycarbonate sheets break the sunlight which results in fewer hot spots. Some polycarbonate greenhouses even have diffusing properties that distribute light so evenly that it makes for ideal growing conditions.
Setting up a polycarbonate greenhouse is way easier than glass which suits any passionate DIY warrior.
Other benefits gained from polycarbonate greenhouse designs include:
- Protects plants and you from the direct sunlight
- Provides a bright atmosphere for plants
- Provides a stable and steady temperature for plants in cold winter season because of the heat-retention feature
- Better light dispersing qualities than glass or plastic
- Versatile which could even surpass glass
- The thick plastic material of the polycarbonate is an overall cheaper option than glass
Features to look into for polycarbonate greenhouse kits
There are two types of panels used in polycarbonate greenhouse kits. Knowing more about them can make you choose the design that will work in your location and with your gardening plans.
Single wall polycarbonate design
The recent panel designs for the greenhouse have become more sophisticated. Gone are the days when greenhouse panels only consisted of either glass or clear plastic.
The thick plastic material of Polycarbonate makes the single Polycarbonate wall unbelievably strong despite being surprisingly lightweight. The clear feature of these panels mimics glass in some ways, making them doubly attractive with none of the issues usually associated with glass panels.
Cooler weather is kept at bay by the single panels, making them ideal for extending the growing season.
You may not be able to grow in the midst of winter with single polycarbonate panels if you’re living in a colder climate. In this case, it’s better to use multi-walled polycarbonate.
Multi-wall polycarbonate panels
Double- or triple-wall polycarbonate panels, often referred to as multi-wall polycarbonate panels, are more and more often used in greenhouse kits. Multi-wall polycarbonate panels have the ability to retain more heat by virtue of their design: vertical supports between the individual layers create flutes or air pockets that trap air and retain heat for longer.
You can choose either small or large flutes. There’s only a marginal difference in their ability to hold air. That’s because the air can only circulate (and cool off) if there is a large air space. While some air movement inside the flutes can affect the insulation, triple or even quadruple panels provide additional layers which result in enhanced insulation.
For example, an 8mm thick double wall will offer less insulation than a thicker triple wall of the same circumference. Whatever you choose, just remember to go for quality polycarbonate greenhouse kits if you want one that is extremely strong and durable. High-quality polycarbonate greenhouse designs usually offer ten-year warranty periods.
Three top-quality polycarbonate greenhouse kits that you should consider buying
Of course, “the best” products always have to be put in perspective. It always depends on what YOUR most important feature is. Some people are looking for the best bang for their bug, while others focus on the best growing/light conditions for plants. That’s why we picked our best polycarbonate greenhouse kits for your different needs:
1. Most affordable starter greenhouse: Riverstone MONT Greenhouse 8×16 – Special Edition
Probably the best-value polycarbonate greenhouse on the market is the Riverstone MONT Greenhouse. Aside from being very durable, it is also easy to assemble and is a type of greenhouse where you can easily install extra ventilation if necessary or add more length.
Additionally, the heat retention from the polycarbonate covering is exemplary. This greenhouse kit is designed and manufactured in the USA, so you know you are getting a top-notch greenhouse. Riverstone has many years of experience in the greenhouse industry and offers many different greenhouse packages. You can check these out here!
The MONT Greenhouse Special Edition can only be purchased on Greenhouse Emporium. The package design is based on the most popular greenhouse size with some customized features. It includes:
- The 7’6” height that veers from the normal height of most greenhouse models. This unique feature allows tall gardeners to stand comfortably in their greenhouse.
- The unusual height feature also means natural cooling and ventilation that eliminates the problem of overheating.
- Durable and long-lasting design that includes an integrated rainwater gutter system, two 6ft x 4.4ft double doors with double hinges, and automated roof vent openers.
- Ten years warranty period for frames and polycarbonate roof and sidewalls
- Average aluminum content for the framework is 40 lbs more than other greenhouse models, making it one of the most durable, if not the most durable frame.
- Includes 8mm polycarbonate twin-wall that provides warmth during winter and coolness in summer.
- Top-quality features and materials that conserve energy consumption while providing the ultimate growing environment for your crops.
2. Best winter greenhouse: Hoklartherm Riga XL Greenhouse
The design of the Riga is European-inspired which means that it is capable of growing plants such as flowers, fresh vegetables, and herbs even in the dead of winter. With top-notch insulation and an onion-shaped design, it can withstand even the harshest of winters.
Some of the finest features gained from this greenhouse design include:
- Affordable price for a durable and strong greenhouse model
- Includes two Horse Barn style 38” wide x 72” tall doors that are installed in the front and back of the greenhouse
- Designed and manufactured by Hoklartherm, one of the leading manufacturers in Germany for hobby and commercial greenhouses
- All four sides of the greenhouse have 16mm Triple-wall polycarbonate glazing that is also UV coated
- Onion shape withstands extreme winds and snow loads
- Warranty is 15 years for the frame, and 10 years prorated after five years for the triple polycarbonate walls
- Automated openers for the 37.5” wide x 39.5” length roof windows
- Includes 4 “L-shaped” anchor bars that can be attached to a wood or concrete frame
3. Best light conditions: Solexx Garden Master Greenhouse
The main reason why Solexx offers one of the best polycarbonate greenhouse kits is actually the glazing. Solexx produces their very own greenhouse panels that offer unique features.
While the image may not sell you on the idea of it being one of the best polycarbonate greenhouses, we promise it’s still worth a look. The signature polyethylene glazing is white for a reason. It diffuses light with perfection so that every inch of the greenhouse receives an even light (no hot spots). It has proven to increase plant growth by 25-30%!
Although the thickness of the panels is not as high as MONT or Riga models, it still provides better insulation than 8mm triple-wall polycarbonate. While it’s technically not a polycarbonate greenhouse, it shares all the characteristics of one.
All Solexx models come with the same entrance design and are 8 feet wide, offering enough space for any type of plant short of a tree. It requires no foundation or complex site preparation, needing only a level garden.
Depending on your gardening needs, you can opt for models between 8 and 24 feet long, adaptable for almost any type of garden.
- A competitive price for all models
- A strong door with a lock
- Two double-tiered bench frames that can hold up to five hundred pounds
- Includes a solar louver opener and base vents
- High-quality 1/8th-inch (3.5mm) Solexx Greenhouse Panels that can be upgraded to 1/5th-inch (5mm) panels that are appropriate for high altitudes or heavy snowfall
- Strong, shatterproof panels diffuse light throughout the greenhouse
- Diffused light prevents hot spots, allows light to reach all areas of the greenhouse evenly, and accelerates plant growth by 25-30%
- Double-walled polyethylene glazing insulates greenhouse well (less cost for heating and cooling)
- Proven to provide better insulation than 8mm triple-wall Polycarbonate
- High longevity of panels: contain a UV inhibitor, which is different from a coating that could scratch or wear off (come with 10-year UV warranty)
- Warranty is 10 years
4. Most beautiful: Janssens Royal Victorian Greenhouse
If you want a greenhouse that will be the shining star of your garden, you should look no further than the Royal Victorian greenhouse made by Janssens, a top-tier greenhouse design company from Belgium. As the name suggests, this line of greenhouses is inspired by the beautiful glass greenhouses of the Victorian era.
The best part? You can get this design with triple-action polycarbonate panels! The panels come pre-cut to prevent dirt and mold from collecting between overlapping pieces. The triple-walled panels also offer superior insulation to keep warmth inside in winter and beat the heat in summer.
This greenhouse boasts great features, including high-quality rubber seals, roof vents, and a louver vent. Additionally, the greenhouse kit comes with a misting system that only needs to be attached to a faucet! You can also get many accessories designed specifically for this greenhouse model.
- Classic English greenhouse design with great insulation
- Thick, strong aluminum frame that comes in two colors: black or green
- Sidewall material/thickness: 10mm triple wall “X-Strong” polycarbonate
- Great insulation: Tightly fitted design with rubber seals between frame and glazing, as well as sealant around windows
- A sliding door that can be installed on any vertical glass location at the front, back, or sides (27.5in wide x 70.5in high) – can also be upgraded to a hinged door
- Louver window(s) with clear Lexan cover sheet for the winter season
- Roof windows (29in x 33in) for effective ventilation with spindle and auto-openers
- Decorative roof ridge adds a touch of English sophistication
- Included rainwater gutter system
- 15-year limited warranty